I found a problem with the way the license files are generated by VMware and read by the license server.

I was checking the current licensing numbers via VirtualCenter and the FlexLM license server. It was showing there were 8 x 1/cpu for each product (ESX, HA, DRS etc). This is double what it actually shows in the license portal.

I double checked what I was supposed to have and it is indeed 4 x 1/cpu licenses. I have found that each time a license file is generated via the vmware portal, if the license file is added with the old one and reloaded, it adds the licenses together, hence 8.

Now I know the cause, I have removed all the files and just have the one generated license file now which is correct (4 x 1/cpu).

I made VMware support aware, as anyone out there who is not so honest may be able to take advantge of this licensing flaw. but it took some explaining to two different people. One first said that it is supposed to show as double in VirtualCenter! Anyway if you inherit a VI from anyone and see more licenses than you thought you had, its probably not right, check it.

Share this blog post on social media:

Social Links

Disclaimer

All advice, installation/configuration how to guides, troubleshooting and other information on this website are provided as-is with no warranty or guarantee. Whilst the information provided is correct to the best of my knowledge, I am not reponsible for any issues that may arise using this information, and you do so at your own risk. As always before performing anything; check, double check, test and always ensure you have a backup.

Copyright ©2016 Andy Barnes - Please do not copy any content including images without prior consent!

Designed and Hosted by Andy Barnes